Friday, April 11, 2014

Under the Sea Birthday Party

Saturday was the big day! Elizabeth had 6 friends from school come over for her party. The girls were wonderful and lots of fun. And they were not as crazy as I expected them to be and that was a nice surprise. I had a friend from church volunteer to come over and give me a hand with the party.  
As the girls came in, I had the mermaid makeover all set out and ready for them to start primping. I found a wonderful ocean, meditation music and slideshow that was playing on the TV for added back ground noise. It was very soothing and relaxing to hear and see stunning  scene of ocean water, beaches, and sea life. Maybe that attributed to their not being so crazy!
We painted their nails, used hair chalk and gave them some fun color strips. We also used some shimmery, pastel eye shadow to top it off. They all looked great and felt like mermaids!

I love this mermaid frame. It's my second favorite piece of decor, after the seahorse and starfish mobile that is hanging in the center of the living room. I even kept my pink and white flower wreath because they reminded me sea anemones.


After the mermaid makeover we headed to the living room where we played a few games. They played Pin the Pearl and Musical Pearl.

When we finished some games we headed back to the dining room for lunch  at the Seahorse Cafe. The lunch menu: Submarine Sandwiches, Fish & Chips (potato chips and goldfish crackers) coral salad (fruit) Squid ink (chocolate sauce) and blue ocean punch. These mermaids where not shy and piled their plates up high! They were hungry.


During lunch we turned on Barbie in a Mermaid Tale. They loved watching that and singing a long with the songs. Some sat in the living room and others stayed in the dining room.


Once they finished chowing down we had one more game and craft. I set up a fishing station where they used a toy fishing rod to fish for their bag of pearls to make  a pearl and charm bracelet. once everyone had their kits, we turned the movie back on and they sat down and strung their bracelets together. Stringing  the beads kept them busy  for a while.
Elizabeth opened her presents and received some fun toys from her friends. Webkinz cat, baby Furby, make-up kit, $10. and a $20 gift card to Toys R Us. I think she wants to buy the big Furby and have both toys play and talk to each other. But she needs $20 more. I guess we will have to find some chores for her to earn the rest of what she needs.


Time for Cake and Ice Cream!    Ummm, We ate too much. We don't have room for cake and ice cream. 
The Little Mermaid- not the cake I wanted, but it's the only sea themed cake they had in stock at Wal-Mart. In their cake book of ideas, they had an awesome Finding Nemo cake kit, but they were out. It would have been perfect for the theme.   And who was the  genius to put Happy Birthday Liz on the edge of the cake, where it obviously got smeared, instead of on top of the cake?  
I cut the cake into really small pieces and  served a little lump of ice cream. we didn't even eat half of the cake. We were eating left over cake for a week. And I still ended up throwing some of it out. Next time, Smaller Cake.


For a thank you gift, I put together an Edible Aquruim- Kit included: Fish-Goldfish dessert crackers, Fish Food- gummy worms and gummy fish. Blue water- Blue Koolaid pouch.  They were a big hit. 

2 hours was not quite long enough. There were a few games and activities that we didn't get to because of time. One of the things I wanted to do with the girls was a mermaid photo booth. I made these props, but  they didn't get to use them during the party. While waiting for parents to pick up girls, a few of them were goofing around with them. I was able to get a few pictures of one of the girls.





Because shells can go just about anywhere, right?!

It was a really fun birthday party and so much work. But worth it. And I think we will keep up most of the decorations for a few days because it took so much work to put it all up. Plus it's Easter colors. Works for me. Now I need to figure out what I am going to do with all this stuff. Maybe someone will want to buy it?!
Happy Birthday Liz!!

No comments:

Post a Comment