Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Country Living Accents

I have posted these pictures on Facebook so some of you may have seen these before. 
Each day that we have lived in this old farm house, I have begun to find some of it's hidden treasures. Little details that are not obvious and grandeur.  I pass by them almost un-noticed. But they have called my attention and I have found some very wonderful accents that make this home the vintage farmhouse that it is. These things were common  in it's era, but are unique to our modern living.  
 There are many more I have yet to photograph. I am in no way a photographer.  Usually my pictures are crap. But I have found that the camera on my iPad takes some pretty good pictures. And I am  very happy with the way these came out.  


A "Domestic"  Treadle sewing machine. This machine is beautiful and timeless. The wooden desk top and  hand painted  design is timeworn, eluding to it's many hours of  utility and handling. 



Sewing machine drawers. This machine only has four of the six drawers. One missing on each side. What I love about the draws is the rich dark wood and the ornate brass handles. These stand out against the black ironwork in which it is incased.


 In the upstairs bedroom you will find a this "Corban USA" skeleton key lock with a white porcelain handle. The lock is thick and cold looking. I love the stark white porcelain handle against the black lock. It's not very apparent in this photo, but  you can peer through the key hole and see into the other room.  
This door some how reminds me of the Liberty jail in Illinois, where Joseph Smith and others where held before his martyrdom. 


On the old barn down our lane, you can find weather worn metals and woods that have stood steadfast through the years. There is nothing special about the barn itself, but it's rustic colors stand out against the faded and deteriorated boards.
  I love the metal hinge and the texture of the wood.



This skeleton keyhole and doorknob  is on the outdoor kitchen building. A little run down block building with and old antique stove inside. Which I would love to go into and photograph, but way to gross and dirty to enter. What I love about this pictures is the old peeling paint in contrast to the drastic rustic color of the metal. It's been very weather worn and neglected.


In our living room, a small door leads to the space under the stairs. It has rich dark wood with wonderful wood grains running throughout the planks. I love the ornate latch and knob. 


Bales of hay are every where. The kids and I watched a farmer cut down the field of grasses and wild flowers. It sat for a week or so to dry out. The clippings where then gathered into rows for a large tractor to collect  the hay in large one ton round bales. These swirls of hay created a very interesting pattern. Layers and layers of grainy wisps.


Cast iron hanging utensils. These were found out in the old barn down the lane.  They are dense and heavy. They look so primitive, yet stylishly decorative.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to be surrounded by such history and treasures!!

    The photos are AMAZING! All those other crappy photos MUST have been because of the old camera, you have a great artistic eye!

    ReplyDelete